Given the unique and unprecedented circumstances caused by the COVID-19 Coronavirus pandemic, more and more people are approaching our lawyers at Hugh James for advice and guidance in anticipation of and following a sudden bereavement.
With more than 55 years’ experience and 700 staff, Hugh James is a top full-service UK law firm you can trust and we would love to talk to you about how we can help. Our lawyers will take the time to understand what you want to achieve and will work tirelessly to help deliver the result you want.
Our experts offer a full range of legal services, as well as other help and support. These include
- Help with wills and probate matters, both contested and uncontested and powers of attorney.
- Liaising with different agencies such as the Coroner or police
- Representing you and your family at an Inquest
- Advising about a Criminal Injuries or Civil Claim arising out of an incident, including road collisions, accidents at work, an act of terrorism, abuse or medical negligence
- Deaths overseas
- Advising where people do not have mental capacity
- Family matters and employment issues
- Signposting to other organisations who might be able to assist with practical issues such as accessing grants and benefits
For more information about all our services, please contact Deborah Johnson, Consultant Lawyer – Charity Partnerships
Hugh James are proud sponsors of the Sudden Bereavement Helpline
Having a long-standing association with Brake, Hugh James is delighted to partner with Sudden, helping to ensure that people bereaved suddenly get help when they need it most. Sadly, we are all too aware that calls to the helpline continue to rise in number, as the number of those needing support rises following the unexpected death of a loved one. We want to do our part to ensure that questions can be answered, prompt advice and support given and help people move forward and not feel alone at the most difficult of times.
“Sudden is proving to be a life-line to family members and loved ones who do not know where else to turn. To have a friendly voice on the end of the phone and have someone listen who understands and can give practical advice can make all the difference. If something more is needed, such as counselling, that can be explored too. It really is about helping people in their darkest of hours and guiding them forward at their own pace and doing what is comfortable for them.
From my work as Head of Hugh James Estate Administration Team and working with many bereaved families over the years, I know how vital this service is and I am very proud to be working alongside the Sudden team, together with my colleagues in our other legal specialist areas, to make a difference. Anyone needing legal advice on any matter at all should not hesitate to get in touch.”
Matthew Evans, Partner and Head of Private Wealth
Tel. 029 2267 5980
For full details of the work of Hugh James, please visit